“Best Dressed” finalist shows off his haute couture

Coralville isn’t traditionally known to be a center of high fashion — it’s possible that Johnson County’s brand of haute couture might be limited vintage Hawkeye apparel or Target’s GO International collection.

Kevin Kassan has set out to change that reputation. He was recently named a top-five finalist in Esquire’s “Best Dressed Real Man” contest. The winner, chosen by online voters, will be announced Wednesday on NBC’s “Today Show.” Prizes include $15,000 cash, a $10,000 wardrobe from Kenneth Cole and Esquire, a trip to New York City, and a chance to appear in the magazine’s September Style issue.

While the other four finalists’ hometowns are listed on the website as New York City, Philadelphia, and Atlanta, Kasson’s is simply listed “Midwest.”

“It feels good and a little weird, seeing that the other contestants are listed in these big cities and then I’m from Coralville,” he said.

Esquire Senior Fashion Editor Wendell Brown also hails from the Corn Belt — Evanston, Ill., to be exact.

“I’m sure people who live in big cities view Midwest fashion as paralyzed,” he said. “To say that there’s no fashion in certain areas of the country is a myth. What I’ve learned from doing this contest is that there are a lot of stylish men from all over the country. I think there’s style everywhere, not just in big cities.”

Kassan encapsulates the essence of Esquire’s Best Dressed Real Man, Brown said.

“I definitely think that Kevin encompasses what Esquire is,” he said. “He represents the tailored version of Esquire’s ideal.”

Kassan said he has a penchant for vintage, and he is known to wear suits daily.

“My fashion icons are mainly Cary Grant and Frank Sinatra,” he said.

Although this may not seem like average attire for the modern 18-year-old male, Brown says Kassan’s style isn’t atypical.

“I’ve noticed that a renewed interest in suits is coming from guys Kevin’s age,” he said. “It’s not the norm, but it’s not highly unusual to come across a college student with an interest in menswear.”

Kassan said his style hasn’t elicited as many reactions in his hometown as one might think.

“People at home don’t usually say anything about the way I dress,” he said.

Kassan, a student at Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, Calif., said the stereotypical college wardrobe of sweatpants and T-shirts hasn’t affected him yet.

“There’s a dress code [at Thomas Aquinas], but other than that, [they dress] pretty much the same [as at the UI],” he said. “Most college students dress for comfort because they have long hours and homework, but there are a handful who like to step it up, and look really great, and put their best foot forward.”