Vito’s adds drag shows

Vito’s has recently gone through a transformation. The establishment is going for a new look with its reconstructed interior, a new menu with a heaping selection of dishes, a patio, and a fresh layer of black paint covering the once-green façade. But physical changes aren’t the only ones taking place.

Since May 3 of this year, Vito’s, 118 E. College St., has experimented with its new environment by adding drag shows to its Sunday night schedule. Previously known for being a typical college bar with what Studio 13 owner Brett Thomas described as a “homophobic undertone,” Vito’s is reinventing itself by offering theme-night events such as country night, hip-hop night, and now once a month drag nights.

The next drag event will be held at 10 p.m Aug. 30. Manager Tom Lenoch said he expects a crowd of 200 to 250 people.

Vito’s may be an unlikely place to hold such an event, but drag shows have been mainstays in Iowa City for seven years since launching at Studio 13, 13 S. Linn St., then known as the Alley Cat. Other shows around the area have taken place at Deadwood Tavern, 6 S. Dubuque St., 3rd Base, 111 E. College St., and the Union Bar, 121 E. College St.

Lenoch said Vito’s is an alternative to Studio 13, because it has recently changed to a 21-and-over bar. He also said his bar has a separate vibe from Studio 13.

“Most people don’t want to go to Studio for the environment,” he said. “We’re a venue, not a gay bar. It’s a diverse bar.”

Greg Garza — who performs drag under the moniker Kylie Cass — is a friend of Lenoch’s who will take the stage at Vito’s next event. Garza said he was not surprised that Vito’s would be so welcoming to drag, given Iowa City’s liberal attitudes about alternative lifestyles.

“Iowa City is pretty up on the times,” he said.

Garza, who came to Iowa City from Austin, Texas, to attend the UI, started performing seven and a half years ago at the Alley Cat. He has also performed at other locations in Iowa City, and every gay establishment in Iowa. Along with doing shows for profit, he also performs for charities, fundraisers, and benefit shows for upcoming queens.

When Thomas heard about Vito’s newest drag show renovations, he was at first a bit skeptical.

“I was shocked that [Vito’s] picked a slow night to do this event,” he said.

Thomas, along with being the owner of Studio 13, is also the proprietor of the Piano Lounge in both Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. Neither location has hosted a drag show, but the location in Cedar Rapids is preparing to host the 2009 Miss Gay Iowa, the second-largest drag pageant in the U.S.

“We [Studio] pioneered and got it started, and we’ve built it up to what it is today,” Thomas said. “It will be interesting to see if Vito’s gives back to the community that supports it.”

Thomas, however, harbors no bad blood and finds the new competition as just part of business.

“I’m very flattered that someone has taken my idea and applied it to their business model,” he said. “You’ve got to do something to put people through your door. It’s just business.”