Tracks from the Past: Coldplay’s X&Y

Coldplay

Have you ever listened to a song that perfectly described how you were feeling at that given moment?

For me, the song was “Fix You,” by Coldplay. I had spent years playing volleyball, and my endless labor was paid off with my being cut from the varsity squad. I was crushed. All that time and effort had gone to waste. All I needed was to hear lead singer Chris Martin sing the words, “When you try your best, but you don’t succeed,” and I was a blubbering mess. Now, whenever I have a bad day, I have the perfect song.

“Fix You” is not the only amazing song on Coldplay’s third studio album, X&Y — the disc is full of songs that showcase the band’s many talents. For instance, “The Hardest Part” remains loyal to the band’s earlier formula of soft-rock ballads that gave the group hits with Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head. The album is mixed with ballads, rock songs, and some acoustic guitar on soulful tracks such as “Till Kingdom Come.” I especially like “White Shadows,” in which drummer Will Champion rocks out. All of the elements that create Coldplay’s great sound are clearly present in X&Y, and the group’s unique sound may be one of the reasons it went on to sell 8.3 million copies.

What makes Coldplay the band I absolutely adore is its expressive lyrics. “Talk” has one of my all-time favorite lyrics: “Are you lost or incomplete? / Do you feel like a puzzle, you can’t find your missing piece?” Again, Coldplay has a genius lyric that makes me feel a little bit better when I am down. Whether it be Martin crooning a love song or describing a bad day, X&Y will always be on the top of my list.

— by Sarah Larson