Studio 13 elated with Elation

Iowa City’s Studio 13 is a bar and night club most famously known for its tri-weekly drag shows and pulsing Top-40 dance hits audible from around the block. Having undergone an almost unrecognizable transformation this summer, Studio has renovated more than just its interior.

“Being the only gay bar in town, we already are a unique bar,” said Matt Strebola, the manager of Studio 13, 13 S. Linn St. “Bars are a dime a dozen in Iowa City. If you can’t do something that [customers] haven’t already seen, there’s no reason for them to come.”

In addition to an interior makeover, Studio 13 has added a new Saturday night dance party, Elation, to its roster. But what separates Elation dance party from any other night of dancing and partying at the bar? Organizers hope to draw in a more diverse crowd and put Studio 13 in the league of dance-partying along with Yacht Club, also located at 13 S. Linn, and Picador, 330 E. Washington St.

“We name it something different so that people can associate it with different energy, so it feels like something new,” Strebola said. “I’d love to be a part of that league of energy and fun. If we could even compare, that would be amazing to me.”

The première of Elation will take place at Studio 13 at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Admission to the 19-plus event will be $5, and the evening will feature indie, electro, house, and pop beats spun by DJ Adam.

Elation will spotlight a broader range of music than most other nights at Studio and will do so by featuring local and non-local DJs.

“Our goal is to try to have a whole unique sound on Saturday … hopefully we can try to emulate that with some of the new DJs that we’re booking,” said Strebola.

As the only “gay bar” in town, Studio 13 plays an established role in Iowa City’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community. “I like to think that [Studio] plays a very homey or welcoming part in the community,” Strebola said. “Our community is so small … we do everything we can to support it.”

Zach Sapato, a bartender at Studio 13, agrees. “There’s a huge sense of community around Studio and everybody who comes in,” he said.

Those familiar faces will be lit in the brighter, more modern decorated space. Eye-catching rainbow-painted ceiling fixtures, an entirely redesigned bar area, and a giant metal dance cage in place of the former DJ booth are among the new additions. Other renovations include computer-operated colored lighting, new dance floor, carpeting, and risqué bathroom doors featuring sculptures of naked women.

Strebola and Sapato hope the interior revamp and launch of Elation will draw a more diverse crowd to the bar.

“Hopefully, it will bring in people who want to hear stuff that’s not so everyday radio,” said Strebola. “We want to bring in a more diverse crowd. That means more heterosexuals, more transgenders, more lesbians. We really want to have an all-encompassing crowd where everyone can feel comfortable and welcome.”

It appears the renovations to Studio 13’s decor and agenda are leading the bar toward a successful new beginning.

“We’ve had a positive response about the renovations,” Sapato said. “It’s just very upbeat, and everyone is welcome. I’m pumped about Elation. It’s a great place to hang out and dance and party.”