Mr. Sandman, dream me a dream

Think back to the Outback Bowl in Tampa Bay, Fla.: You’re sipping a Bud Light on the beach surrounded by the Hawkeye fans and taking pictures with your besties in front of the game display created in sand.

If you’re one of those who said, “This isn’t something you’d see in Iowa,” you’re going against the grain.

Sand in the City, presented by Bank of the West, is a contest in which 12 teams — each paired with a designer or architect — attempt to create the best sand sculpture. Teams will start building 10 a.m. Friday, with judging at 4 p.m. The creations will be located along Iowa Avenue and Linn Street, and admission is free.

“Originally, when I heard a sandcastle-building contest, I immediately thought of two small buckets and a shovel,” said Kyle Walters, the executive event director of Dance Marathon. “But it’s pretty hard-core.”

Sand in the City is an annual event in such locales as Omaha and Kansas City, Mo., but this is the first time it has taken place in Iowa City. Mary Frieden, the Summer of the Arts events director, said she thinks the event will be successful because “it’s a new art form. If you go to more cultural cities and the larger beaches, you see people doing this just for fun. In some communities, people get paid to do this as an attraction for their beaches. It’s just something fun, it’s a different skill, a different art form, and our mission is to build community by bringing people together to learn about, experience, and enjoy the arts.”

Sand in the City is a fundraiser that will help the Summer of the Arts, a nonprofit organization.

“This year, we lost some major sponsors, so this year’s Sand in the City will actually go to help cover costs from our Iowa Arts Festival,” Frieden said. “Most fundraisers in communities are the same kind of thing — you go to a dinner, or a gala, or whatever it is. This is totally different as a fundraiser — it’s a festival.”

The event will urge people to use “sand dollars,” which can be purchased at the event, to vote for their favorite sculptures. Frieden said the participating teams are creating numerous strategies in hopes of winning the People’s Choice Award, such as autographs from Miss Iowa and an appearance by Herky and Perky.

A team of Dance Marathon members also hopes the organization’s connection with the university will bring in votes.

“We’re the only student organization participating in this event, so we’re hoping that alone will kind of get a lot of votes from the students,” Walters said. “And just with our design. And our cause — we’re hoping to get a lot of people to help us out and make us the crowd favorite.”

Sand dollars may be used for more than just a vote for one’s favorite sculpture. A dunk tank, Velcro golf, and other carnival-based activities and items will be available for spending sand dollars.

Because Sand in the City is a family-friendly event, there will be a free kids’ tent with a bubble pond, a sand box, and numerous crafts. Live entertainment will also be provided.

Hoping for a large turnout, Frieden wants to change fairly recent feelings about sand — which may have been tarnished by last summer’s flood.

“Last year, there wasn’t much fun with the sand,” she said. “We’re able to bring sand out and put it in a totally different light for the community, which will be really positive.”