Trendspotter: People

Summer in Iowa City was absolute bliss. There were rarely lines downtown on the weekends, parking was always an option, and driving around the streets wasn’t like playing a hard-core game of Frogger. But now people have returned for the semester, and Iowa City as we summer-dwellers had known it is officially gone.

Trying to get into any decent bar during the school year is nearly impossible, especially at 11 p.m. on any given weekend night. This wasn’t an issue in the summer, when the throngs of eager just-turned 19-year-olds were at home where they should be. Older students, lucky enough to live in apartments, didn’t have to wait in long-ass lines and all was right with the world.

Peaceful summer nights spent lazily drinking on stoops and porches were much more pleasant when the usual shrieks of downtown were kept to normal roars. Maybe the noise wasn’t the biggest issue, but the constant desire of those that missed out on the endless hours of summer drinking is quite obnoxious. Take a tip from Iowa City summer habitants — alcohol consumption doesn’t always need to be an ordeal.

The worst part about the UI campus filling up again is trying to drive around without getting arrested for accidentally running someone over. Pedestrians around town seem to think they always own the road, when, in fact, they clearly do not. Stick to the sidewalks, kiddies, and watch where you’re walking.

So people, go back to where you came from. At least for another few weeks, until the weather gets crappy.

— by Rachael Lander