Bitch Please: HBO

Like HBO? Fine, but shut up about it

So I’m on Twitter, minding my own business and clicking through the trending topics. Usually, there’s some good stuff; I enjoy reading about protests in Iran, people bitching about their wireless provider, and even a small dose of JoBros gossip every once in a while.

But then, almost without fail, I stumble upon thousands of tweets about whatever HBO original series happens to be on that night.

HBO’s shows aren’t necessarily bad; I just get pissed off about how much attention they garner. People can’t just watch the show and shut the hell up; they have to tell everyone else what they think about it.

In pursuit of full disclosure, it’s probably best that I admit that I’m no HBO connoisseur: I’ve seen quite a few episodes of “Sex and the City” and a few episodes of shows like “Curb your Enthusiasm” and “Entourage.” Oh, and I used to sneak out of bed late at night when I was in junior high so I could watch “Real Sex.”

But my lack of exposure doesn’t really matter. My beef with HBO original series isn’t the programming itself, but rather that liking the show is so absolute. People don’t just casually watch these programs — they either have every season on DVD and watch obsessively, or they don’t watch at all.

— by Adam Sullivan

HBO offers a slew of great shows

Sunday night. You and I both have spent the entire day laying on the couch, milking the hangover that’s been building up since Thursday night.

But why move? At 9 o’clock, a string of new episodes on HBO is going to start, and really, what is there better to do on a Sunday night? With such shows as “Entourage” allowing the audience to live the childhood dream of dropping everything to become a millionaire movie star in Hollywood.

Or what about the mini-series “Eastbound & Down”? Danny McBride plays washed-up major-league pitcher Kenny Powers, who returns to his hometown as a substitute gym teacher only to find his high-school sweetheart engaged to the school’s principal. Powers turns to steroids to get his life back on the right track. Plus, a little bit of Will Ferrell never hurts.

And the Australian mockumentary “Summer Heights High.” Created and written by 34-year-old Logie Award-winner Chris Lilly, who plays the vulgar class-clown Jonah Takalua, the stuck-up private school bitch Ja’Mie King, and the flamboyant and egotistical “Director of Performing Arts,” Mr. G.

HBO series offer something that normal cable viewing just can not compete with.

Not that swear words and sex scenes periodically showing a glimpse of some hot chick’s nipple make a TV show, but hey, at least I have the option.

— by Chris Clark