Guest Opinion: Vote for experienced Susan Mims for City Council

Iowa+City+mayor+Jim+Throgmorton+and+City+Councilor+Susan+Mims+speak+during+an+Iowa+City+Council+meeting+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+18%2C+2016.+%28The+Daily+Iowan%2FOlivia+Sun%29+
Iowa City mayor Jim Throgmorton and City Councilor Susan Mims speak during an Iowa City Council meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/Olivia Sun)

Mims’ student opponent Ryan Hall shares her progressive ideals but lacks her knowledge of the Iowa City community.

On Nov. 7, Iowa City voters are called to elect our City Council. I had the privilege of serving with Susan Mims for four of her eight years of service on the council. I marveled at her dedication to the job. Despite working a full-time job, she puts exhaustive hours into her public service. Susan’s zeal for crafting policy relevant to progressive social ideals is tempered by her long-standing knowledge of how local government works. These advanced skills are unique to very few in our community. When I was on the City Council, I appreciated how deftly she could analyze the issue from all sides. When it came time to reduce our discussions to policy, Susan crafted progressive legislation that continues to benefit our community.

Susan has committed much of her time to addressing social-justice issues in Iowa City. When she learned that there were several highly qualified people of color that had applied for positions on the police force, rather than passing on them because all positions were filled, she promoted an “over-hire.” By anticipating retirement vacancies, the city could hire additional officers and create a more racially diverse force.

RELATED: City parks master plan approved

Susan also lends critical leadership to bringing community and university members together to create an Access Center to provide appropriate care for those with mental illness, specifically those who are detained by police officers during their acute crises. Currently, those who are detained are often brought to our local emergency rooms or jail. She is bringing a broad range of stakeholders together to create a better option. When the group of community experts asked for leadership from the City Council, Susan stepped forward.

Another major issue consistently facing our city is growth. The community has varying ideas of how and where we should accommodate growth. Susan has shown that she is open to different development philosophies that deter urban sprawl, enhance neighborhoods, respect the environment, and invest in local businesses and employment. Susan is mindful of the financial viability and constraints each new project poses. In her eight years on council, she has shown her commitment to minimizing our debt and maintaining our AAA bond rating so Iowa City is financially better able to address the social needs of our citizens.

The current City Council has experienced a rapid turnover and will continue to do so with this election. Without Susan Mims, the council will have only one member with more than four years’ experience. I think it’s important for a functioning council to have several members with new ideas but not to the near exclusion of time-tested experience.

Susan’s opponent, Ryan Hall, is a 24-year-old University of Iowa undergrad who moved to Iowa City a year ago. Based on his presentations so far, there is little difference between their political leanings. It does not make sense to replace her proven skills and deep awareness of our community with an unproven candidate. Efforts to rally undergraduate non-voters to support Hall based on his age alone is building momentum. I encourage those newer voters to consider voting for Susan Mims.

This community showed up in record numbers to vote for the public school bond. I hope it shows the same commitment to electing the most knowledgeable and experienced candidate. Please vote for Susan Mims for City Council District B on Nov. 7 — or better yet, vote early.

— Rick Dobyns

Iowa City

• Guest Opinion: Vote for experienced Susan Mims for City Council

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: 2018 should be an education election

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Americans understand the value of free trade

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: The UI Labor Center and its educational mission for Iowans

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: UI student deeply upset by UI’s closing of the Labor Center

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Prioritize children’s health and environment over cosmetic lawn pesticides

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: City councilor speaks out against pushback on downtown high rise

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Claims of University of Iowa animal abuse are unfounded

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Gubernatorial candidate Glasson will create positive change

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Fetal heartbeat law devalues medicine and Iowa women

Guest opinion

Guest opinion: Support young Johnson County farmers’ land access