The DI Inclusion & Engagement Internal Board

An internal board consisting of staff members who will be charged with leading efforts on community outreach and engagement, staff recruitment, community events, news coverage analysis, and story/project planning.

• Staff members represent a diversity of race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, associational preferences, major(s), involvement in student organizations, and political affiliations.
  • The Editor and Managing Editor(s) will always sit on the board.

Internal board members will be responsible for:

• Community outreach and relationship development with UI student organizations, UI departments and offices, and the Iowa City community.
  • Planning and organizing DI events, such as forums, seminars, panel discussions, and listening posts.
  • Recruitment efforts to bring new staff members of different backgrounds, experiences, and identities into the DI newsroom.

The board will meet twice a month to review news coverage, analytics, engagement goals, and results. 

To join the board, DI staffers must apply by submitting a résumé and a statement explaining why they want to be on the board, what ideas they have to help the DI build/maintain stronger relationships with communities that have been underrepresented in the DI, and a vision for how the DI could better represent these communities in coverage. Statements should not exceed 1 page in length.

Check this page for more information in the coming weeks to learn more about the internal board members.