Second-year libero Sydney Dennis brings hometown pride to Iowa volleyball

The Clarence, Iowa, native chose to stay close to home after a storied high school career.
Isabella Tisdale
Sydney Dennis celebrates during a volleyball game between Iowa and Minnesota at Xtream Arena in Coralville on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023. The Gophers defeated the Hawkeyes, 3-2.

As an athlete growing up in Iowa, being a Hawkeye fan came naturally for Iowa volleyball libero Sydney Dennis. When she received the offer to play for the Hawkeyes, she said she couldn’t pass up on the opportunity.

The redshirt second-year was born and raised by her parents Lori and Rod Dennis in Clarence, Iowa — a small town located 40 miles northeast of Iowa City.

In their youth, Dennis’ mom played softball while her dad played football. Despite opting for volleyball, though she still found her competitive spirit early in her childhood through the athletic nature of her family.

“We’ve always been a competitive household,” Dennis said. “We would play Monopoly, and it would get very intense. We would all just end up yelling at each other, so we would have to quit.”

Dennis attended North Cedar High School in Clarence for three years before transferring to Mount Vernon High School in Mount Vernon, Iowa, for her fourth year.

While there, Mount Vernon volleyball coaches Maggie Willems and Robin Brand helped Dennis elevate her game as they put her in multiple positions on the floor.

“I feel like they put a lot of trust in me, especially being new to the team,” Dennis said. “I was a setter in high school, which is kind of weird. But they put a lot of pressure and trust in me to guide the team and help them get a championship.”

By the end of her high school career, Dennis was a four-time all-conference honoree and state tournament all-tournament team as a fourth-year, leading Mount Vernon to a runner-up finish in the state that season.

That’s not to mention Dennis’ widespread athleticism, also running track in high school and qualifying for state, finishing fifth in the 4×400-meter relay and third in the distance medley.

Dennis amassed 2,289 assists and 1,061 digs across her volleyball career as a setter, but she made the switch to libero upon arriving at Iowa, a position she had little experience with back in high school.

“I didn’t really play my position at all in high school, but I’m well aware [of how to play it] now,” she said. “It’s definitely helped me now. It let me have perspective for the other positions because I would just help out wherever.”

Dennis had a handful of options to play volleyball after high school at big universities, such as Arkansas, UCLA, and Marquette.

Ultimately, the opportunity to stay close to home was one she knew she couldn’t pass up.

“I wanted my parents to be able to come to all of my games … I wanted to play in the Big Ten, and I want to make a difference [in the program],” she said.

Iowa volleyball head coach Jim Barnes has noted that difference.

Barnes is ecstatic to have a player of Dennis’ caliber with the program — a loyal player who is flexible enough to fill every position on the floor.

Barnes recognized the support that comes with having homegrown players like Dennis.