Point/Counterpoint | Who will win the 2024 Big Ten volleyball title?

Sports reporters Chris Meglio and Isacc Elzinga make the case for Wisconsin and Nebraska to pull off the feat.
Nebraskas+volleyball+team+lines+up+before+a+volleyball+game+between+Iowa+and+Nebraska+at+Xtream+Arena+in+Coralville+on+Sunday%2C+Nov.+19%2C+2023.+
Sara Stumpff
Nebraska’s volleyball team lines up before a volleyball game between Iowa and Nebraska at Xtream Arena in Coralville on Sunday, Nov. 19, 2023.

Wisconsin

There’s no doubt that Wisconsin and Nebraska have dominated Big Ten volleyball for the past five to seven years. Last year, Nebraska claimed the conference title with its late-season win over Iowa. This year will be Wisconsin’s redemption year to claim the conference title.

The Badgers were one of two teams to beat the Cornhuskers last season — the other loss being against Texas in the national championship game, who had beaten Wisconsin the round prior. They were a force to be reckoned with and will be again next season as they’ve returned eight players.

Of those eight returners, seven of them played at least 100 sets last season and all combined for 85 percent of the team’s total points for the 2023 season.

Outside hitter Sarah Franklin recorded 540 points and 486 kills throughout the 2023 season, which led the team in both categories and puts her at the fifth spot for total kills and the sixth spot for total points in the Big Ten. Middle blockers Anna Smrek and Devyn Robinson were the team’s second and third-leading scorers, combining for 671 points and 553 kills.

Middle-blocker Carter Booth was arguably the best defensive player in the conference. She led the Big Ten with 116 blocks and 164 assisted blocks while recording the third-most solo blocks with 22. Another key defensive piece is middle blocker Caroline Crawford, who was second in the conference with 149 assisted blocks and third with 100 blocks.

The Badgers went 2-0 during their spring schedule with sweeps over the University of Illinois Chicago and Northern Iowa. Wisconsin hit 4.74 against the Panthers and only had three attacking errors. Robinson and Franklin led the offensive attack with 15 kills each. Julia Orzol and Smrek each had seven kills on the night as well. With this consistent offensive efficiency and the leadership of elite head coach Kelly Sheffield, the Badgers can beat anyone in the country.

Nebraska

While Wisconsin managed to split the meets against Nebraska last season, the Badgers were more vulnerable during the rest of the Big Ten schedule, losing two other meets in the regular season. Their Cornhusker counterparts lost once in the Big Ten for a 19-1 conference record and a fourth Big Ten title.

Nebraska’s dominance in the conference showed in the postseason awards as Cornhuskers were littered throughout the first and second All-Big Ten teams and took home four of the five individual postseason awards.

Nebraska has four AVCA All-Americans returning. Third-years Merritt Beason and Lexi Rodriguez were named to the first team, while first-years Bergen Reilly and Harper Murray had impressive rookie seasons, making the second and third teams, respectively.

Rodriguez has won a litany of awards during her time at Nebraska. She’s been named to an All-American team three times and won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year twice, becoming the fifth player in conference history to do so. She anchors a solid Cornhusker defense that consistently ranks near the top of the country in opponent-hitting percentage.

Riley became the youngest player to win the Big Ten’s Setter of the Year award since the award’s conception in 2012 and was 17th in the country in assists per set. With one Big Ten season under her belt, she’ll continue to improve and play a vital part in the Cornhuskers’ offense.

The Nebraska faithful have also shown their support for the team. Four of the top five most-attended volleyball games include the Cornhuskers, which creates a unique environment for any opponent.

Nebraska, which finished second in the NCAA last year, is returning with an experienced and motivated roster. The team hopes to avenge last year’s national championship loss and bring home its first title since 2017. With AVCA National Coach of the Year and Big Ten Coach of the Year John Cook leading the way, the Cornhuskers are poised to defend their title as Big Ten Champions.