Point/Counterpoint: Who is the victor in the Drake vs. Pusha T beef?

Drake announced his newest album will come out later this month, so The Daily Iowan has decided to debate whether the ‘6 God’ or Pusha T came out on top in their recent rap feud.

The Canadian singer, songwriter and rapper Aubrey Drake Graham, better know by his stage name Drake, performs at Royal Arena on March 7, 2017 in Copenhagen, Denmark. (Gonzales/Samy Khabthani/Avalon/Zuma Press/TNS)

TNS

TNS

TNS

Braxton Leonard, [email protected]

When it comes to the topic of Drake vs. Pusha T, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Push is undoubtedly the better pound-for-pound rapper. He is one of the last true wordsmiths in the rap game today. Push’s songs are pieced together with an impeccable flow topped off with a smooth, unique delivery. Push tends to steer clear of the pop stratosphere; this allows him to maintain an underground-like persona and a one-of-a-kind style.

From the beginning of the beef, I knew Drake would be in trouble because lyrics aren’t necessarily where he makes his killing. Drake is a hit-maker, and it’s fairly apparent in his tracks that he aims to appeal to the masses. Push came out of the gates strong with subliminal shots at Drake, which reignited the long-standing feud that Kanye’s “GOOD Music” has held with the Young Money label. Drake quickly fired back with his “Duppy Freestyle” track aimed at the “GOOD Music” moguls. I must admit, Drake’s efforts surprised me. The track was packed with comical pot shots at Push. Drake’s piece made me anxious to see what Push would fire back.

When Push dropped his final response track, titled “The Story of Adidon,” the beef was over as quickly as it started. The track was a complete bombshell that not only exposed numerous secrets and scandals of Drake’s, it was also three-straight minutes of complete and utter disrespect. This track is packed with low blow after low blow, impressive wordplay, and, of course, that classic Push flow.

Perhaps my favorite thing about the track was that it was written over Jay-Z’s “Story of OJ” instrumental, a cool and calculated move by the “GOOD Music” mogul. When it comes to rap beef, it’s all about proving who the superior rapper is.

Whoever ultimately produces the best punchlines, the pot shots that hit closest to home, and the cleanest, most impressive lyrical onslaught is the winner of a rap beef. In this case, the winner was Push. We can all agree, this one was a classic.

Drake’s only true competition is Drake himself

By Glenn “Sonnie” Wooden Jr.

Drake has been a monolith in hip-hop on worldwide level; he seems to be invincible. We barely know anything about him, but we like it that way. We want his image to stay pristine. He constantly shows us what we want to be: methodical, the life of the party, elusive, and loving. He easily has the infinity stones of music, dominating the charts every time he releases a new track.

Perhaps this is because of his wide-ranging appeal. Drake is able to connect with the love-sick young man, the woman fantasizing about the man of her dreams, the newly rich and famous, and the fan struggling to get his shot. Drake is always in our hearts and stuck on our minds. We blare his music in all situations: sex, the pregame, the party, the late-night ride home alone, and the morning after an unforgettable night when we were smiling and wanting to do it all over again.

Quite frankly, it is not possible to beat someone who is in your heart and mind.

This is a level of strategy that has not been able to beat. Pusha T is a legend in the rap game, but he cannot beat an artist such as Drake, who has created his own level. If you say he won the beef, then fine, he did. He won a rap beef, but this game is way larger than that. These artists are fighting to be in the pantheon of artists. Drake has beaten records set by only Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, and he continues to set more. Even with the lack of a reply, we know he will outsell Pusha to oblivion. Whatever club Pusha is in, it will play Drake. Pusha’s peers still need to call Drake just to compete (Drake has a songwriting credit on Kanye’s song “Yikes.”)

At this point, Drake isn’t competing with anyone but himself. Pusha has everything to gain by beating Drake, and Drake already has it all. So let’s face it, what is beating Pusha T going to do?

• Point/Counterpoint: Who is the victor in the Drake vs. Pusha T beef?

Columns

Neal: The split left: preparing for 2020

Columns

Banerjee: Is progress in entertainment circles a waiting game?

Columns

Elliot: Don’t go looking for nowhere

Columns

Kumar: You could have just Googled that question about my culture

Columns

Newby: Iowa’s record-breaking, history-making year

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: To sleep or not to sleep; the slings and arrows of too little

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: The physician assistant occupation

In Their Own Words

In Their Own Words: New Year’s Resolutions

Opinions

Point/Counterpoint: Do Snapchat streaks have any real significance?

Columns

Jaimes: Better listen to the white liberal … or else