Prall: Israeli corruption case mirrors

TNS
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during the 54th Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, on Feb. 18, 2018. Netanyahu and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif bickered on Sunday at the 54th Munich Security Conference. (Luo Huanhuan/Xinhua/Sipa USA/TNS)

Strongman authoritarian rule has become more popular in world politics, particularly with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Jacob Prall

A divisive leader is at the center of an investigation into bribery, fraud, and breach-of-trust charges. He denounces the investigation as “fake news,” calling it a “witch hunt.” He’s constantly working to discredit his own attorney general and police force. It might surprise you, but I’m not referring to President Donald Trump. No, I’m drawing a parallel between U.S. domestic politics, and the corruption scandals embroiling Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The Israeli police have recommended the Israeli attorney general indict Netanyahu. In response, Netanyahu questions the integrity of Israeli institutions. As a master of media narrative, he could very well endure these charges. The message to the world will be loud and clear, “attack your own democratic institutions, undermine the public’s trust in the government, and command the media narrative, and you can get away with anything.” For this reason, the situation in Israel deserves our attention.

There are several threads to this web of allegations. I’m here to get that sticky cobweb out of your hair and all sorted out.

RELATED: Guest Opinion: Israel Anti-Boycott bill doesn’t violate free speech

The first case in the police recommendations, Case 1000, involves Netanyahu allegedly receiving nearly $300,000 worth of gifts from an Israeli-born Hollywood producer, Arnon Milchan. In return for these gifts, Milchan allegedly received massive tax breaks and Netanyahu’s help in securing a U.S. visa. Milchan worked for Israeli intelligence, passing on nuclear secrets from the US to the Israeli government. He’s been quite vocal about that — that’s what got him into trouble in the first place.

The second instance, Case 2000, revolves around Netanyahu’s alleged attempt to make a deal with Israel’s largest newspaper, Yediot Aharonot, to secure more favorable coverage. Netanyahu allegedly suggested to the publisher of Yediot Aharonot that he could negotiate with a rival newspaper and ally of Netanyahu, Israel Hayom, to limit circulation, thus increasing Yediot Aharonot’s market share. In return, Netanyahu would receive first-class media treatment, free from such pesky items as criticism and scrutiny.

RELATED: Lane: U.N. wrong on Israel again

Things get even juicier with Case 3000. Long story short, Netanyahu bought submarines the Israeli military deemed unnecessary, and Netanyahu’s second cousin/personal lawyer profited from the deal. We’ve seen a lot of this kind of cronyism in the White House. Just last week, Melania Trump had to let one of her advisers go because she was paid tens of millions of dollars for the Inauguration Day celebrations. Trump has a habit of rewarding multimillion dollar contracts to small firms run by personal friends.

Last, the Israeli police are still actively investigating case 4000. This case alleges Netanyahu gave favorable regulatory benefits to a popular Israeli news website for more positive coverage. The website is now a pro-Netanyahu operation.

Look, the man loves his positive coverage. And who doesn’t? It’s a great way of stifling dissent and securing power.

RELATED: Editorial: Relationship with Israel worrisome

We live in a time where countries across the world are sliding into strongman authoritarian rule. Just this week, President Xi Jinping secured the Chinese presidency indefinitely. In this time of global uncertainty, the strongman leader can be tempting. But to preserve democracy, at home and abroad, we must stand up against leaders who seek to consolidate power through repression and autocracy. Israel is still far from an autocratic society, but its people must stand up against any politician who doesn’t play by the rules, who believes he is above the law, and who makes it his mission to undermine institutions essential to a democratic state, such as a free press and independent judiciary.

Maybe Netanyahu is guilty, maybe he isn’t. But he is still a citizen of Israel and should be held to the same standards as anyone else. And if it were anyone else, we’d have seen an indictment by now.