Hawkeye cross country took home two individual titles in Nebraska

Nathan Mylenek and Andrea Shine paced the Hawkeye cross country team as both the men (1st) and women (3rd) finished with top-three places in the first away meet of the season.

David Harmantas

Ian Eklin kicks down a competitor at the finish line at the Hawkeye Invitational Cross Country meet on Friday, September 1, 2017. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Hanna Malzenski

Hawkeye cross-country dominated the Woody Greeno Invitational in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Sept. 16.

The men’s team finished first, with four runners in the top 10 of the 8,000-meter race.

Sophomore Nathan Mylenek took first (25:42.8), followed directly by Ian Eklin (25:45.2) resulting in Iowa owning the top two places.

Daniel Soto placed fourth (25:48.0), and Brandon Cooley took seventh (26.07.8).

The women’s team finished third with three runners placing in the top 10 of the 6,000-meter race. Junior Andrea Shine came in first with a personal best of 21:39. Senior Madison Waymire placed sixth (22:08), and Juliann Hollensbee ended up 10th (22:24).

This year was the first season the Hawkeye harriers visited Nebraska.

After a strong first two meets, Iowa has a weekend free from competition. The Hawkeyes will pick up action on Sept. 29, when the team travels to South Bend, Indiana, for the Notre Dame Invitational.

RELATED: Cross country record breakers dazzle in opener

Facebook Comments