Honoring taking a bike (fast) in Iowa City

Identical bikes rest near Cannondale Bicycle Corporation’s tent with various tire setups at the Johnson County Fairgrounds before the Cyclocross World Cup on Saturday, September 24, 2016. There were ammeter, masters and junior races held throughout the day. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

By Kit Fitzgerald

Despite rain and cold weather, cyclists gathered in downtown Iowa City for the Old Capitol Criterium to race and honor the founders.

Forty years ago, Bill Casey and Dan Nidey wanted to create a race for their two friends training for the Olympics, and Nidey said they knew Iowa City had to be the location. (Disclosure: Casey has worked as the Daily Iowan publisher for many decades.)

“We really wanted to see a bike race in Iowa City,” Nidey said. “There were other bike races around in Iowa, but we felt Iowa City would be the perfect place.”

Nidey said starting and running the race, which is sponsored by River Products, took a long time and a lot of great volunteers.

“We tried and failed in 1976 [to create the race],” Casey said. “But we came back and got it done in 1977.”

Nidey said the two designed the course to be challenging for riders and downtown so the public could watch. They rode the course many times, trying to perfect it.

The route now begins at the intersection of Clinton Street and Washington Street, to Madison Street, to Jefferson Street, to Dubuque Street, and back down Washington Street. Different races cycle the route various times.

“Fast straight away, sweeping corners, really steep hill,” Nidey said. “We knew it was going to be a good course.”

Ben Anderson, the president of the Iowa City Cycling Club and director of the race, said his current responsibilities for the race used to be Casey’s. The job includes setting up parade permits, getting everybody involved, talking to local businesses, raising sponsorship and funding, and so much more.

Casey, at the time he founded the race, was the publisher of the DI. Nidey said that connection to the paper helped promote and sponsor the event. Nidey owned World of Bikes, which helped as well. Other sponsors include Iowa State Bank, which is now MidWest One, and the Bicyclists of Iowa City.

Although Casey and Nidey no longer play a role in running the bike race, they said they are happy with how it is run.

“The people who have picked up the mantle have done a great job,” Nidey said. “It has brought more interest to the sport. It’s helped Iowa City.”

Casey said there was a lot of work involved in running this event.

“I’m glad it continues and that other people have the energy to put it on,” Casey said. “It takes a lot of energy, it takes a lot of effort, takes a lot of volunteers.”

Anderson said the event helps add to the momentum on cycling in the community. It promotes local community, provides communication about getting involved, and increase awareness about biking, bike laws, and bike safety.

The race also honors Chris Lillig, a cyclist who was killed by a drunk driver in 1995 while biking.

“The whole idea here is to connect bike racing with advocacy in ways to improve safety in day to day commuting, and just life and so forth,” Anderson said. “And we have different cities that have races just like this.”

Nidey and Casey agreed that bike safety is an issue for races, centuries, club rides, and any kind of biking. Casey said the awareness of cycling that the race provides brings positive change for bike laws and safety.

While Casey said he appreciated the acknowledgement for their work, he joked that the event honoring him was making a big deal out of nothing.

“We have seen the pluses and the minuses, mostly pluses, with what it takes to run a bike race,” Nidey said. “But a lot of respect for Bill, and we’re just happy to be here. We want to be back on the 50th.”