Ramos heads to North Carolina

Former Iowa wrestler Tony Ramos talks to the media in the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex on Monday, April 4, 2016. The Olympic Trials will take place at Carver-Hawkeye Arena April 9-10. (The Daily Iowan/ Jordan Hansen)

Former Iowa national champion Tony Ramos is headed to North Carolina as an assistant coach.

Earlier this month, during the April 9-10 Olympic Trials, Ramos announced his intentions to leave the Hawkeye Wrestling Club and find somewhere else to wrestle and train for the Olympic and World teams. His decision came after a loss to fellow Hawkeye Wrestling Club member Daniel Dennis in the 57-kg finals.

Ramos made his decision public on Wednesday through a tweet and a blog post, the tone of which was a bit different than the harsh comments he made about coaches at Iowa after his Olympic Trials loss.

“I am extremely thankful for being a part of the Hawkeye wrestling tradition over the past eight years,” Ramos said in the post. “It was an honor for me to wear black and gold and compete in front of people who love and understand the sport.”

It seems he’s found something to excite him, at least for now; he will work under Tarheel head coach Coleman Scott, the 2008 national champion at 133 pounds while at Oklahoma State. Ramos won the 2014 NCAA championship at the same weight.

Interestingly enough, Ramos and Coleman wrestled each other at the Olympic Trials, with the former Iowa wrestler winning 4-4 on criteria.

The position will be the first college coaching job for Ramos.

“There are some exciting things happening in Chapel Hill, and I can’t wait to get out there with the coaching staff and be a part of the legacy that is to come,” Ramos said in his post.