Studer: Apple should do more for security

Samuel Studer
This week was the start of the Apple iPhone encryption hearing, brought on by the FBI in response to the San Bernardino shooting in December 2015. Apple did not like the idea of the FBI going into its software, potentially allowing for the government and possible hackers in the future being let into our digital lives. Apple CEO Tim Cook and other industry leaders stand by this stance: Nobody should be allowed access to our information.

Yet, do these companies do enough to protect users from breaches in security? Apple has long terms and conditions that few readers read. This protects Apple from any hack or data loss on apps or programs that we may use on our iPhones or computers.

What if our information was leaked from the wallet app? Credit-card information from millions of users would be compromised. There would be no way to hold anyone accountable for the breach of security.

Is Apple really looking out for us? In September 2015, hundreds of Apple Store apps were infected with malicious software. A Chinese server used an app-building software that made iOS vulnerable to attack. But it’s not just Apple that faces this fatal flaw.

Other companies that connect us to the Internet face similar issues. This is only the start of the problem as more gadgets become online. This leaves consumers to understand the risks that they face taking in using these devices. Some issues are just handled by individual consumers, and they continue to use these products because they do not understand the risk they’re taking.

RELATED: Anyone but Trump

Companies should be required to provide guidelines for app developers, which would force them to make security a priority. Members of the public should also take an active role in making sure they are aware of the risks that are present. We cannot act as if we are taking no risk in downloading these applications, even if they are approved by Apple or other companies. Last, a ranking system should be created specifically for security in order to help the public understand which developers are trustworthy.

Apple should be able to resist the government’s move to try to pry into its software. Yet, more needs to be done in order to protect the consumer. Right now, nobody would be responsible if something serious were to happen with our data. Times have changed since the Internet first came out, and we must offer the people who use it the most security and protection. No matter people’s level of technological competency, they should still be able to use the Internet and applications safely.

Technology companies must take responsibility in the protection of their consumers. We must solve this problem that we face. Government agencies should not have access to our information without due cause, and new laws should be created in order to protect consumers.

Apple should take this as a learning experience and work with government agencies to try to come up with a compromise. Then they should work toward protecting consumers. We put so much information on the Internet, and we must protect it. Nobody should have her or his personal data compromised.