No UI students in Brussels

AP
People holding a banner reading “I am Brussels” behind flowers and candles to mourn for the victims at Place de la Bourse in the center of Brussels, Tuesday, March 22, 2016. Bombs exploded at the Brussels airport and one of the city’s metro stations Tuesday, killing and wounding scores of people, as a European capital was again locked down amid heightened security threats. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

By Cindy Garcia

No current University of Iowa students were, or are, in danger after terrorists set off explosions rocking the Belgian capital of Brussels, killing at least 30 people and wounding around 250 others on Monday.

UI International Programs confirmed no UI students are studying abroad in Belgium this semester. There are also no current plans to have students study in the European country during the summer or fall of this year.

After a California State University student was killed in November by terrorist attacks that struck Paris, concerns over the safety of students studying abroad have increased.

UI International Programs prepares students for crisis situations before they set foot on foreign soil during orientation. Guidebooks, consulate and embassy phone numbers, and a 24/7 hotline are all resources available for students.

The Daily Iowan has previously reported three UI students were studying abroad around Paris when the city was struck by terrorist attacks that left 130 people dead.

Additionally, political upheavals in Egypt in 2011 forced a UI student to return home.[youtube id=”0XT_WtLAXRA” mode=”normal”]