UI ‘bikes’ on in Fall Frenzy

John Theulen
The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center is shown on Sunday, March 22, 2015. The CRWC will be closed from Monday to Sunday due to the men’s NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. (The Daily Iowan; John Theulen)

Expresso bikers in Iowa City have defied the odds the past two weeks and are now heading to the semifinal round of Fall Frenzy.

Fall Frenzy is an annual competition put on by Expresso, a company selling stationary exercise bicycles. This is the third year the University of Iowa has participated in the challenge.

Colleges around the country ride for miles in the competition to win the grand prize, which in past years included a free Expresso bike and a scholarship for a student.

The UI Fall Frenzy team was down almost 100 miles during the top-16 round two weeks ago when it faced off against Carnegie Mellon University. On the second day, the UI pulled ahead and won by almost 100 miles.

Last week, in the top-eight round, the UI won by over 300 miles against Gannon University, the school that last year outrode the UI by one mile.

This week, the UI faces off against St. Mary’s College of California in the semifinal round. All miles ridden on the Expresso bikes on Tuesday and Wednesday will go toward the UI’s score.

“It’s a fun time. We’ve got trainers and groups and instructors up there jamming to music,” UI assistant director of fitness and wellness Matt Stancel said. “Everyone is riding for a common cause and representing our university. It’s a pretty cool atmosphere.”