Soccer drops two in Michigan

Iowa defender Amanda Lulek kicks the ball at the Iowa Soccer Complex on Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Flames 3-0. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

The Hawkeyes fall against Michigan State, Michigan during weekend play.

By Courtney Baumann

Iowa soccer’s first two games of Big Ten play did not go quite as planned.

The Hawkeyes lost both of their contests, first against Michigan State on Sept. 18 and Michigan on Sunday.

With the two losses, Iowa was knocked all the way down to 13th in Big Ten standings, tied for last with Maryland.

Iowa gave up the first goal to Michigan State very early, only 1:32 seconds in. The Hawkeyes allowed a second goal to the Spartans slightly more than 30 minutes later, leaving them at a 2-0 deficit before halftime, However, a goal by freshman Alina Magruder allowed the Hawkeyes to come within 1 five minutes before the half.

The second half was much less exciting than the first; Iowa had only one shot in the last 45 minutes, and Michigan State had two.

“It’s hard to win in the Big Ten when you give up a goal so early in the game against a team like Michigan State that is so strong defensively,” head coach Dave DiIanni said in a release after the game. “The [Iowa] team that showed up in the second half won’t be very successful in Big Ten this year with that approach.”

Iowa’s struggles with getting shots continued into the game with Michigan. The Hawkeyes had only three in the game — two in the first half and one in the second. The Wolverines, however, got in 27 shots on Iowa’s defense, which forced senior goalkeeper Hannah Clark to make a season-high 7 saves.

Although Michigan challenged the Hawkeyes defensively, the team only scored 1 goal, in the 89th minute.

Michigan’s Lulu Haider headed the ball past Clark to put the Wolverines up 1-0.

DiIanni was much happier with the loss to Michigan than he was with the one against Michigan State.

“We aren’t into moral victories in our program, and it was a gut-wrenching way to lose with a minute left in regulation. However, we are very proud of players right now,” he said in another release. “We designed a tactical plan to give us the best opportunity to win … and the girls stayed committed to it for 90 minutes.”

Follow @cbomb12 on Twitter for news, analysis, and updates on the Iowa soccer team.