Hoverboards zap into popularity

Electric self-balancing scooters are turning heads on the UI campus as they become more popular.

By Katelyn Weisbrod

They have been called everything from electric skateboards to hoverboards, from two-wheeled self-balancing scooters to Segways without handlebars to personal-mobility scooters.

Whatever they are called, they have been spotted on the University of Iowa campus. People riding them zip around pedestrians on their way to class, while bystanders capture the sight on video.

The scooters became popular when such celebrities as Justin Bieber and Kendall Jenner posted videos riding them on Instagram.

The scooter has two wheels with a gyroscope on each side of the board that keeps the rider balanced. The wheels move independently of one another, and the riders’ feet control where the scooters go by putting weight on their toes or heels.

Experienced riders make it look effortless, but first-timers usually struggle for a few minutes while they get used to the scooter’s sensitivities.

“It’s kind of difficult. You really have to practice it. You can’t lean forward or back too far,” UI freshman Abby Aldeen said. “It’s really fun when you get the hang of it. It took me a few seconds, but you just have to find your balance. Getting off of it, you feel like it’s just going to go on by itself.”

UI freshman Diego Saavedra said at first, everyone wobbles but then is usually able to get used to the self-balancing technology.

“They think it’s like a skateboard, but actually, it balances for you, so you literally just have to stand straight up and down,” he said. “Anyone can pick it up and be pretty proficient. After some time, I was able to do more turns and twists and go faster and go over bigger bumps and obstacles.”

Saavedra has an IO Hawk, one of the many brands that manufacture the scooters. His is one of the higher-end scooters, valued at around $1,800. He got his from a friend at a cheaper price. Other models can go for as low as $300 depending on the brand.

He bought it just to ride with his friends for fun in his hometown of Chicago, but now that he is at college, he has found it to be a convenient way to get around campus.

They go about 6 mph and weigh about 27 pounds, so he can ride to class and carry it with him.

“They’re more convenient than a bike because I don’t have to lock it up, and I can get over a lot of bumps that people on longboards can’t,” Saavedra said. “I can get to Kum & Go from my dorm really quick, and I can get to Burge from Rienow in like six minutes, where it takes other people 15 to 20 minutes to walk there.”

Both the Iowa City police and the UI police said they have not had any major problems with the scooters. The boards are not allowed on sidewalks downtown, ass with bikes and skateboards, and also are not allowed on city streets.

“Since it goes only 6 mph, they’re not going to require you to wear a helmet,” said Iowa City police Officer Adam Schmerbach. “I don’t see a lot of problems with it as long as it’s being used safely and diligently.”

Saavedra said the scooters are becoming more and more popular because they are getting cheaper and more accessible.

“The first time you see it online, it’s fascinating, and when you see someone riding it, you’re fascinated again,” Saavedra said. “When you get on it for the first time, it’s like a whole new experience, and when you get the hang of it, it becomes super fun.”