Making the FilmScene

An American classic will make its way back onto the big screen at FilmScene, 118 E. College St., this weekend. The local nonprofit cinema

will screen Dirty Dancing at 8 p.m. Sept. 6 as part of its summer Rooftop Series.

Dirty Dancing, released in 1987 to favorable reviews, follows the story of Baby (Jennifer Grey), a 17-year-old girl hoping to enjoy her last summer before leaving for the Peace Corps, and subsequently, starting her adult life. She is disappointed when her parents choose a sleepy resort in the Catskill Mountains as their vacation destination, but that disappointment quickly turns to excitement when the resort’s dance instructor, Johnny (Patrick Swayze), makes her his partner and the two fall in love.

Dirty Dancing is described by many as the sort of movie that will have you feeling good leaving the theater, and FilmScene is planning to leave you feeling even better.

The cinema has operated on the Pedestrian Mall since the fall of 2013, when it was founded by Andy Brodie and Andrew Sherburne to “enhance the cultural vitality of the Iowa City area through the presentation and discussion of film as an art form.” They screen everything from classic films to independent productions.

To complement its regular operations, FilmScene also offers programs, such as filmmaker workshops and film literacy programming, designed to bolster the Iowa City film community.

One such special event is the Rooftop Series, a collection of 10 well-loved classics shown on weekend evenings in the summer and early fall. Movies shown this summer include Meet the Parents, Jaws, The Goonies, and the first two movies of the Mad Max franchise. These screenings are accompanied by a myriad of other fun activities including giveaways, karaoke, and costume contests.

“Every screening is different,” Sherburne said. “We had hip-hop karaoke with Who’s the Man? mini-golf with Caddyshack, and Shark Bite drinks with Jaws.” He promised another special surprise for the audience at Dirty Dancing this weekend.

With all the little extras and the emphasis on community, it may not come as a surprise to many that FilmScene has become a staple for many Iowa City moviegoers.

UI senior Katie Stych has seen several different movies at FilmScene over the years and has no plans to stop going.

“I really like the variety of the movies that they show there,” she said. “They have a booklet of all the events and movies that are happening each month. It makes for more of a unique experience when compared to other movie theaters.”

FilmScene also offers an annual membership program that gives moviegoers a range of benefits such as discounts on admissions and concessions. Students can become members for just $25.

After this weekend, the next rooftop movie is on Sept. 20, and there are still three more before the series concludes in October.

FILM
Dirty Dancing
When: 8 p.m. Sept. 6
Where: FilmScene, 118 E. College