Students take advantage of free food and study sessions

With the academic year coming to an end, Finals@IMU is set to take place throughout this week.

In gauging students’ experience during the week, surveys are typically handed out. This determines the changes that will be made to the future events.

The newest addition to Finals@IMU is the academic Q&A sessions. They will give students the opportunity to meet with professors and TAs from four of the largest lecture-based classes — math, economics, biology, and chemistry.

“I study at the IMU almost every day,” UI senior Annalisa Donahey said. “My favorite event is the free massages. I also take as much advantage as I can of the free foods and coffee.”

Donley said she would miss the IMU’s services upon graduating.

“The free massages will be really missed,” she said. “It’s going to be rough graduating, but at the same time, a lot of the study skills learned throughout college will be helpful in the [real world].”

In years past, the UI Student Government has partnered with the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership in organizing Flippin’ into Finals — an annual pancake breakfast to kick off finals — but this year will be different.

“Flippin’ into Finals is something that we have done in the past and that we’ll be helping out with, but this year, we’re not really taking over,” UISG President-elect Liz Millssaid. “Although we are funding a couple events.”

This year, the center will be entirely in charge of Flippin’ into Finals.

“In years before, during the finals week, I have gotten some pancakes,” UI sophomore Bradley Martin said. “It was enjoyable. It’s free food. You gotta love it.”

While studying, students also have access to healthy snacks: The Student Health and Wellness ninjas will distribute fruit and granola.

Therapy dogs will be available as well other activities designed to mitigate student stress and exhaustion, such as free massages and abundant coffee.

“My favorite part is petting the therapy dogs,” UI sophomore Emily Scaletta said.

Many seniors have noted how valuable Finals@IMU events have been to them.

“As a senior, I will miss these events a lot especially the free food,” UI senior Wonchul Chung said. “They helped me while I studied for finals, especially the tons of carbs we got at 1 a.m.”