Guest Opinion: Philanthropy made my education possible

Private support has made my experience at the University of Iowa possible, in ways too numerable to mention. Philanthropy has touched nearly every significant moment in my time at Iowa — but I will limit this to a couple of my most profound interactions with Phil.

Last summer, I worked at the UI Foundation for 10 weeks as a development intern. Going into this experience, I thought it was going to be a nice summer job. I thought of philanthropy as important but exclusive — something only rich people could possibly ever have the resources to participate in. I left the experience with my heart changed.

Through my internship, I had the opportunity to work closely with and learn from a mentor who raises funds for the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Iowa. I found fantastic friendships with my fellow interns and made connections with other incredible people — specifically, employees at the foundation and generous donors to the UI.

The internship helped me discover a passion for nonprofit work, not only in myself but also in the donors I had the pleasure of working with. Many people — from a wide range of backgrounds and with varying levels of wealth — give generously to the UI programs they care about, and each person or family has their own inspiration for giving back. Their generosity inspired me. The desire I once had for a career focused on power and prestige was gone, replaced by a drive to do meaningful work for programs people care about. By the end of last summer, I felt increasingly called to a career in art museum administration — a career that will give me the ability to work closely with donors and experience beautiful works of art every day.

This semester I am taking a course called the Art Museum: Theory and Practice. This unique art history class combines both traditional coursework in the history and theory of art museums with a lab facilitated by the UI Museum of Art. Through this class we have worked with the museum on special projects for the exhibition, From the Grand Tour to American Pop: Learning with the Alden Lowell Doud Collection. Not only was the collection given to the museum by a private collector, the course is also supported by other generous philanthropic contributions to the museum. Through classroom instruction and hands-on learning with an interesting and important collection of art, this class has been tremendously enriching preparation for my career — and it was all made possible by Phil.

I have received a superb education at Iowa, and now I understand that philanthropy played a critical role in making it all possible. I wanted to take a moment, since Phil’s Day is today to encourage fellow UI students to take a moment to appreciate Phil. I encourage you to reflect on the ways Phil has enhanced your experience and to express your gratitude to the wonderful people who are Phil to the UI.

Have a great Phil’s Day.

Morgan Brittain