Powwow returns Saturday

The beat of a drum, the smell of fry bread, the vibrancy of colors. For some, these may be seemingly simple factors of a good party. For others, these things embody the cultural expression of long-standing traditions.

At 11 a.m. Saturday, the University of Iowa will host its 21st Powwow at the Recreation Building. The Powwow is organized largely by the Native American Student Association. This year will mark the return of the Powwow; it was canceled last year because of a lack of funding. 

Association President Thom Johnson said the celebration aims to connect Iowa tribes, such as the Meskawki Nation, with Native American tribes across the country.

“Not only does the Powwow facilitate cross-cultural collaboration by allowing Native students and their allies to work together planning this significant event throughout the academic year,” he said.

“But the Powwow also makes a powerful statement about cultural diversity in our community.”

The Powwow will include various food and craft vendors, including the tradition of fry bread.

However, Johnson said, the main attraction of the event will be the music and dance performances that pay homage to the roots of Native history. 

“Music and dance play a large role in expressing who we are and our values,” Johnson said. 

Though the event will be a celebration of the original inhabitants of America and their culture, Johnson said all of the non-Native community should attend, observe, and engage in order to broaden their horizons, both personally and academically.

“The university has graciously assisted us in our funding, planning, and production of this event, which serves to expose students and community members at large to our culture. For that, our community is grateful,” he said. “However, more can always be done to shed light on the smallest population of students and faculty on campus.” 

—by Jasmine Putney

MUSIC & DANCE