Iowa City International Film Festival descends

The 13th Iowa City International Film Festival will take place Friday and Saturday in 105 Adler .

The festival, presented by undergraduates in the UI Cinema Department, features documentaries from both Iowans and national and international filmmakers. The students aim to showcase different documenting styles and methods, questioning what it means to make a documentary.

“We are exhibiting works from all over the globe,” said Stephen Ocampo, a UI junior organizing the festival. “For example, we have works from native Iowan filmmakers such as John Richard [“A Simple Gift of Walnut Grove”] and are also exhibiting international submissions.”

Ocampo said director Rhayne Vermette’s “Rob What” will make its U.S. première at the festival. Vermette’s work is in good company: Christian Jenses, who was nominated this year for an Academy Award for his “White Earth,” has previously participated in the festival.

Kevin Lee, the chief video essayist from fandor.com, and Monica Savirón, a director most known for “Broken Tongue” will also attend this year . The two will serve as the festival’s jurors.

Admission to the Iowa City International Film Festival is free and open to the public. Like all good screenings, the festival will be followed by an after party. 

—by Justus Flair

Iowa City International Documentary Film Festival Schedule

FRIDAY 

7:30 p.m. Competitive Show No. 1

9 p.m. Competitive Show No. 2

11 p.m. Competitive Show No. 3: Ben Russell

SATURDAY

2:30 p.m. Competitive Show No. 5

4:15 p.m. Juror Show: Kevin B. Lee

7:30 p.m. Competitive Show No. 6

9 p.m. Competitive Show No. 7