Murray named as incoming DI editor

The long wait for UI junior Stacey Murray came to an end as she was announced as the next editor-in-chief of The Daily Iowan on Monday evening.

“I am nervous, but I am really excited,” Murray said. “The best part about this is working in all parts of the sections and the talented people who work in them.”

Student Publications Inc. board members made the official announcement after an hourlong sit-down interview with Murray.

Before coming to the University of Iowa her freshman year, Murray interviewed for the Bill Mertens Memorial Daily Iowan Scholarship with DI Publisher Bill Casey the summer of her senior year of high school. She said she had no idea that she’d end up working at the DI or eventually become the editor-in-chief her senior year of college.

Murray said she hopes to bring some new ideas to the organization, many she hopes will come to fruition.

“I plan to update the website, hopefully integrate more multimedia by combining some Daily Iowan TV stories with print,” Murray said. “I also plan to include a more diverse newsroom, including students from different multicultural backgrounds and reaching out to more [people other] than journalism students.”

Murray has previously worked as a Metro reporter, Metro editor, Daily Iowan TVassociate producer, managing editor, and she currently serves as the projects editor.

She has also completed internships with the Cedar Rapids Gazette and the Anamosa Journal-Eureka.

Murray will begin her tenure as editor-in-chief in May.

“Stacey has a very approachable attitude, her ability to answer questions shows she is a great mentor,” said Robert Nichols, the SPI Board head. “She is very open to new ideas from everybody and can foster an environment of teamwork.”

Murray’s list of experiences, particularly with the DI, made the board confident that she will do a great job in the position.

“She has an extensive work history, but working with the DI stands out,” Nichols said. “This creates a good outlook for synergy between the DI print and DITV, which is something that the board likes to see.”

Current Editor-in-Chief Jordyn Reiland said she has no doubt Murray is ready for the position after working alongside her the last three years.

“She’s had quite a bit of experience in both the newsroom and Daily Iowan TV and has worked tirelessly in every position she’s held,” Reiland said. “I have no doubt that she’ll bring the same excitement and energy to the newsroom that she brought almost four years ago as a Metro reporter.”

Murray said being interviewed was a little intimidating especially by people who cared as much about the DI and were looking for someone who shared the same views as they did.

“They want to know the specifics of the things you want to do, which is kind of intimidating.” Murray said.

Nichols said he looks forward to seeing her ideas come to life.

“I hope she remembers to take it one day at a time, and to not sweat the small stuff,” Reiland said. “It seems like your editorship is a long time, but before you know it, it’ll be over, and you’ll be graduating and leaving a place that was your home for four years.”