Dan Gable to discuss Foxcatcher

One of the state of Iowa’s most famous athletes, Dan Gable, will speak on one of the 2014’s most acclaimed films at 3 p.m. Saturday at FilmScene, 118 E. College St.

Gable, a former Hawkeye wrestling coach who led the team to 15 NCAA team titles between 1976 and 1997, will headline a special screening of the wrestling-focused film Foxcatcher. He will be joined by two-time NCAA champion Mark Ironside, as well as other guests yet to be announced.

Nominated for five Academy Awards, Foxcatcher tells the true story of Olympic Gold Medal-winning wrestlers Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) and Dave Schultz (Mark Ruffalo). The brothers train for the 1988 Seoul Olympics with Team Foxcatcher, an off-color wrestling group owned by multimillionaire John du Pont (Steve Carrell), who killed Dave Schultz in cold blood in 1996.

Before the screening on Saturday, Gable, an Olympic gold medalist himself in 1972, will describe training at the Foxcatcher facilities as well as lead a discussion on what it takes to “go for gold.”

The film will begin at approximately 3:30 p.m. This will be FilmScene’s last screening of Foxcatcher, which opened at the cinema on Jan. 23. FilmScene will host four other movies on Saturday, including fellow Oscar nominees Song of the Sea and Two Days, One Night.

FILM & LECTURE