Scherff named Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year

Brandon Scherff, Iowa’s All-American left tackle, was named the Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year in the Big Ten on Monday. Additionally, the senior was named first-team All-Big Ten by vote of league coaches and media.

Scherff, a native of Denison, Iowa, is the first Hawkeye to earn the Offensive Lineman of the Year award since Bryan Bulaga in 2009; he is the seventh in program history to win the award.

Along with earning first team All-Big Ten honors for the second-straight season, Scherff is one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy, and he was a semifinalist for the Lombardi Award. He has started every game over the past two seasons.

In addition to Scherff, several other Iowa football players earned All-Big Ten honors.

Offensive lineman Austin Blythe, linebacker Quinton Alston, and defensive tackles Carl Davis and Louis Trinca-Pasat earned second-team honors on the coachs’ team.

Big Ten media named defensive end Drew Ott to the second team. Iowa is the only team with three defensive linemen named to the teams.

Hawkeye players earning honorable mention recognition are tight end Jake Duzey, safeties John Lowdermilk and Jordan Lomax, cornerback Desmond King, wide receiver Tevaun Smith, and offensive right tackle Andrew Donnal.

Senior running back Mark Weisman is Iowa’s recipient of the Big Ten’s Sportsmanship Award.

Iowa finished the 2014 regular season 7-5 and is bowl eligible for the 13th time in 14 seasons. The Hawkeyes will learn their bowl destination Dec. 7.

— by Cody Goodwin