Endorsement: Kinney for Iowa Senate

The Senate race for Iowa’s District 39 between Democrat Kevin Kinney and Republican D. Moore is an interesting one, given the lack of an incumbent since Senator Sandra Greiner,R-Keota is stepping down. The incumbent almost always yields an intrinsic advantage to the newcomer due to already having the opportunity to demonstrate ability and familiarize themselves with the constituency. However, in the scenario in which two newcomers face off the playing field is leveled slightly, and the importance of qualification and perception becomes magnified.

Iowa’s District 39 consists of Keokuk County along with parts of Washington and Johnson County. Contributing to the precarious nature of this race is not only the lack of incumbent but also the relatively even partisan disparity that does not lend an overwhelming advantage to either candidate. When looking at the candidates from a holistic approach, candidate Kevin Kinney brings a unique perspective to the table that will make him a valuable asset to the Senate as a representative of Iowa.

Kinney has a varied background and set of skills that will lend themselves to the diverse issues of the Iowa constituency. Kinney has extensive experience in the area of law enforcement having served for 27 years in the Johnson County Sheriff’s Department. In his time there Kinney has garnered numerous accolades and achievements for his work including most notably his work on human trafficking in the United States, which led to the first federal prosecution within this jurisdiction. In addition to an exemplary tenure as a member of law enforcement, Kinney is a farmer with an extensive knowledge that would lend itself well to serving the more agriculturally focused constituencies. Kinney is deeply involved in the agricultural community already as a member of the Johnson County Cattlemen’s Association and the Iowa Farm Bureau.

While both candidates for this Senate race are qualified in their own right, Kinney possess a diverse set of skills that would translate the best in serving a rural, agriculturally motivated constituency. In races between two qualified candidates it is important to note not only the number of achievements and strength of qualification, but also where and how these attributes will be best utilized to benefit a district. Given this rationale Kevin Kinney would be an ideal fit for Iowa’s District 39.