Endorsement: Johnson for Iowa House

In the race for a seat in House of Representatives for Iowa’s 73rd district, the Democrat challenger David Johnson is the better choice over the Republican incumbent Bobby Kaufmann. Iowa’s 73rd District consists of Cedar County along with sections of Johnson and Muscatine County.  In his second attempt at the seat Johnson won the Democratic primary over Dennis Boedeker after losing to Dick Schwab in 2012. Bobby Kaufmann ran in the Republican primary without opposition. Although it always proves to difficult to topple an incumbent, David Johnson has the skill set and experience to make real change in the Iowa legislature.

Johnson is approaching the race with an emphasis on education, which makes sense given his background. An alumni of the University of Iowa and current employee of the school’s Registrar’s Office the issue of education in Iowa is clearly one close to the heart for him. Johnson is a veteran of the Gulf War and extends this through his work at the University of Iowa by assisting students’ access opportunities in higher learning through the G.I Bill.

The crux of Johnson’s platform stands on policies that would affect Iowa families and communities, in two of the arguably most tangible fields of education and the work environment. Johnson points to a strengthening of the public school system and institutions that will make Iowa workers more competitive and able to grow the economy. To supplement the beneficial effects of bolstering of the education system and the impact it will have on the workforce, Johnson also hopes to increase the minimum wage and ensure the protection of men and women in the workplace. The combination of these efforts will culminate in a degree of social mobility and security available to wide constituency of everyday Iowans.

Johnson has experience in local government through his time spent on the West Branch City Council which has contributed greatly to his inspiration to become involved in the House of Representatives. The combination of his experiences and background has resulted in Johnson’s devotion to fostering stronger communities within Iowa starting with the communities. Johnson has proven himself to be wary of allowing outside corporations to hold too large of an influence over the economic stability of Iowa. Rather than rely on corporate tax breaks and other incentives for large corporations to play pivotal roles in Iowa’s economy, Johnson would like to see the power to stabilize and cultivate the economy be centered in the communities that make up Iowa. Johnson’s ground-up attitude towards the enrichment of the Iowa community through initiatives in education and vocational support make him an ideal candidate who will strengthen the state.