Prall: Sockpuppet media and women voters

Election time is upon us once again. It is every citizen’s duty to be well-informed and vote. Yes, all should take the time to vote. Unless, of course, you’re a woman. Or at least that is what Fox News host Kimberly Guilfoyle would have us believe.

Guilfoyle has made a few remarks on Fox recently that appear to be heavy-handed in their agenda. 

“It’s the same reason why young women on juries are not a good idea,” Guilfoyle said, “They don’t get it.”

She said women don’t understand such things as paying mortgages, health care, crime, and education. They should just go back to “Tinder,” and everything will be fine. Seriously though, these comments read like something out of the ’50s. As disturbing as her message is, I find there is something more disturbing in what it reveals about the media we consume.

I’m talking about the media, the press, the writers, and critics who prophesize with their pens. In days of old, their job was to inform. No wonder voting is so unpopular among many Americans. Who are they to trust for good, reliable, and unbiased information? Party politics that play out in bits disguised as news leaves all of us a little more jaded and cynical. Guilfoyle is another in a long line of media puppets who dance to the tune of their employers. To be clear, this isn’t a conservative thing or liberal thing. This is simply a thing that happens in every aisle.

The gender gap is a major problem for the GOP. Women for Democratic candidates consistently outvote Republican presidential candidates, usually by nearly 10 points. While Republicans struggles to find its footing in the demographics of a drastically changing United States, they lose out on major voting blocs. Talking down to them isn’t going to change anything. In fact, it is part of the reason there is a gender gap to begin with. The GOP likes to talk about demographics it needs to cater to, but most don’t want to be courted. The most effective way to win their vote is to adopt positions and policies that those people will like. Might that bring the GOP closer to the center? Probably. It is hard to see how else the Republicans could remain competitive in presidential elections.

And to be totally fair, I think men are way more into “Tinder” than their female counterparts. Women are all too aware of crime, health care, and education. That’s why they’ve voted liberal. As a voting bloc, they tend to value spending on education, rehabilitation over confinement for life, and fair treatment by the health-care system. Telling women to stay home will only motivate more to move to action, because it is just disrespectful. It would be one thing if Guilfoyle was consistently sexist, but she isn’t. I’ve heard her spout rhetoric to empower women plenty of times; that’s what makes this specific example so troubling. I hope for her sake whoever is paying her to spew disrespect realizes it will do more harm than good in the long run.