Endorsement: Elect Etheredge and Carberry to Board of Supervisors

National elections dominate the media every cycle. Often times, this may unjustly overshadow the importance of local elections taking place. Johnson County voters will be heading to the polls to vote on the County Supervisor’s election on November 4th. This time around the contenders will be John Etheredge (Republican), Mike Carberry (Democrat), and Janelle Rettig (Democrat).

Etheredge is focused on finding ways to upgrade secondary roads as well as create additional support for farmers. Working with the Secondary Roads and the Board of Supervisors, his plan is to locate specific roads that need to be repaired or fixed. This construction will help alleviate traffic concerns as well as provide a foundation for a strong road system in Iowa. For farmers, Etheredge believes the county’s poor farm which is 150 acres should be allocated for smaller farmers.

Being a Republican in a place like Johnson County is not easy, though, and he acknowledges he will have to rely on help from Democrats to get reelected. However, his differences with the Democrats are especially clear on issues like taxes.

Unlike Etheredge, who believes taxes are already high, Rettig is instead focused on finding ways to increase revenues. As the population continues to increase in the county, there are more services that need to be provided. She believes that the path to more funding for the county lies in allowing the state to increase fees for certain activities. These include restaurant inspections, marriage licenses, and public health services.

Carberry’s background as an environmental consultant guides his priorities to those of sustainability. A University of Iowa graduate, Carberry is the owner of Green State Solutions. The company advises on renewable energy policy, climate change, sustainable food, and agriculture.

This background has been evident in his stances on local issues. When there was a move to rezone 91 acres of land along Newport Road north of Iowa City for 70 homes, Carberry did not support the action.

The Daily Iowan Editorial Board is endorsing Etheredge and Carberry for County Supervisors this election. Etheredge’s focus on secondary roads is crucial to most people who have been driving around Johnson County. Carberry, on the other hand, has proven experience to work to preserve the county’s natural beauty. Both candidates could work together to provide the best public infrastructure while preserving the colorful scenery we see around us every day.