Hawkeye Express switched departments

The Hawkeye Express, which moves Hawkeye fans from Coralville to Kinnick Stadium, has been under new management.

University of Iowa spokesman Tom Moore said an incident occurred in 2011 in which the UI noticed a decline in revenue and discovered that deposits were missing from three games.

Moore said the money that had been earned through ticket sales for the Hawkeye Express was not deposited, so $74,200 was missing.

“Since then, the UI Department of Parking and Transportation handles all cash,” he said. “It used to be the Athletics Department that was in charge of handling the money.”

Moore said that since Parking and Transportation took over, there have been no accouting issues.

State Auditor Mary Mosiman said she was asked to investigate the situation once the university recognized the problem in 2011. On Sept. 3 and Nov. 12 of that year, she said, money earned in ticket sales was not deposited, and on Sept. 24, a portion of the money was missing.

Mosiman said the Athletics Department’s handling the ticket cash at the time had a problem in the segregation of duties.

“My expectation with this new system is that things are better,” she said. “And they should be now that the incident has gained the attention of the officials and the general public.”

Mosiman said it takes common sense to prevent these situations.

“As far as I’ve heard, there have been no reports of similar circumstances this year,” she said.

Joshua Sabin, the director of administration for the Iowa Northern Railways, which runs Hawkeye Express, said so far, an average of 5,000 people took the Hawkeye Express during the three home football games, an increase over last season’s 4,000.

Sabin said the number of people using the Hawkeye Express is growing every year, making it a “wonderful success.”

“Part of the reason fans look to take the train is so that they don’t have to deal with parking problems,” he said. “This just helps to eliminate all sorts of messes, not to mention it’s always been a historical part of this school.”