Guest Opinion: EPB situation harms learning

I am writing in response to the recent article published in The Daily Iowan about the mold in the English-Philosophy Building. As one of the evicted persons, I have some clarifying points I would like to very respectfully express to the university at large — especially to those in charge of Facilities Management and to those in positions of administrative power. The EPB situation has resulted in the displacement of university-employed graduate students, compromised learning for both graduate students and undergraduate students, and continues to pose health concerns to all who pass through the EPB.

Approximately 55 graduate students, all of whom are instructors and employees of the university, have been displaced. Many graduate instructors were given fewer than 48 hours to evacuate their offices, which housed confidential student records, learning resources, computers, and printers. Our department heads, administrative staff, and professors have been tremendously helpful and supportive. They have offered to share offices with us and have even helped us move. Despite the support we have received, the move has been very difficult. The move has also occurred very close to the English Department’s Qualification Exam, which graduate students have been preparing for.

The move, in itself, has compromised the health and learning environment of graduate students.

Finally, there are questions about the safety of the EPB for university employees and students who remain there. It appears that the right to a safe environment that facilitates a positive learning experience is not included in the university’s Bill of Student Rights. It seems that a positive and healthy student learning environment should be a key priority for the university. The university should also take measures to ensure that employee workplaces are safe, healthy, and conductive to scholarship.

Corey Hickner-Johnson is a Ph.D. student in English and Gender, Women’s & Sexuality Studies.