Area man and woman accused of having meth

Authorities have accused an area man and woman of possessing methamphetamine.

Michael Thompson, 37, was charged Jan. 10 with third or subsequent offense of possession of a controlled substance. Michele Covarrubias, 41, was charged Jan. 10 with possession of a controlled substance and gathering for the use of drugs.

According to a North Liberty police complaint, members of the Johnson County Drug Task Force served a narcotics search warrant at 465 Heritage Place in North Liberty.

Covarrubias is the primary resident of the dwelling.

During the search, authorities reportedly found glass pyrex dishes on the counter in the kitchen contained methamphetamine residue.

Covarrubias reportedly admitted to having methamphetamine in her bedroom. Authorities allegedly located methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia in her room.

Thompson and a codefendant arrived at the location driving two separate vehicles, then drove away.

Officers stopped both vehicles, the complaint said. The codefendant discarded a backpack from the vehicle prior to being stopped, which, officers said, was found to contain ingredients and items used in the manufacture of methamphetamine. The backpack also included coffee filters allegedly containing methamphetamine.

Thompson admitted the backpack and its contents belonged to him, the complaint said.

Third or subsequent offense of possession of a controlled substance is a Class-D felony. Possession of a controlled substance is a serious misdemeanor. Gathering for use of drugs is a Class-D felony.

— by Rebecca Morin