Voices of philanthropy: "Give regularly"

My husband, Rand, and I both went to the University of Iowa and graduated in 1951. My father, Walter Anneberg, M.D., also a UI graduate and lifelong supporter of the university, said to us, “Do not wait to give to the university until you can afford to give.”

We were in the process of graduating at the time and soon after, married, and Rand was drafted and sent to Korea. So, we sent $12.50 each for Alumni Association memberships.

My mother, also a UI graduate and lifelong UI supporter, said, “Find programs and projects that interest you. Support them, and become involved.” Her opinion was that community involvement makes life interesting.

Throughout the years, I have taken my parents’ words of advice and expanded on them:

Give regularly. The university not only needs strong support from the state of Iowa every year, but also increased support from the private sector, to maintain programmatic excellence and educational opportunities for students.

Give while you’re still alive. We have enjoyed supporting scholarships and watching those students succeed as well as contributing to the funding for some of the buildings on campus. Seeing Old Capitol and other museums on campus renewed and used brings joy to us because we’ve supported them over the years. Professor Ernest Pascarella, who holds our named chair in the UI College of Education, has exceeded our expectations in his contributions to higher education, and we are proud of him and his work.

Endowments and estate gifts are an investment in the future. Building on past support, endowments and estate gifts provide for the future of this great institution. 

Phil was here, Phil is here, and Phil is important for the future.

Mary Louise Petersen (1951 B.A.)