Women’s tennis to square off against Chicago State

The Iowa women’s tennis team hopes to finish out the week with another win when the Hawkeyes take on Chicago State on Saturday.

For the Hawks, this match is just another day at the office — it’s a terrific opportunity to improve their record and their confidence.

“It’s really important that we get these wins,” junior Morven McCulloch said. “More wins on our record obviously makes us more confident going into the Big Ten.”

Iowa is coming off a beat-down on Missouri-Kansas City, wining the meet 7-0. Head coach Katie Dougherty made some changes in the lineup for the match, she paired Iowa’s lone freshman — Aimee Tarun — with its lone senior, Ruth Seaborne.

“We were able to shift 2 and 3 up to 1 and 2,” Dougherty said. “Everyone did a nice job … it’s always good to have a freshman in there with the senior. That can help her with the nerves.”

After such a stellar performance on Tuesday, the team is keen on continuing its hard work to replicate the outcome on Saturday.

Iowa’s match Tuesday didn’t take much of a toll on the team’s bodies because the Hawkeyes played so well. They were rewarded with rest on Wednesday.

“It was a good match but not one that was physically taxing, so their recovery has been good, and we’ll be ready to go on Saturday,” Dougherty said.

Seaborne had a little extra bounce to her step after practice on Thursday. She was very pleased with the way the Hawkeyes performed on Tuesday and is confident that they will continue to execute come this weekend.

“All of us played very well,” she said. “We work hard every day, having good, positive attitudes, competing and fighting hard in each match. There’s no doubt that everyone’s going to go out and compete really hard.”

Every chance to get a win is important. It offers an opportunity for the team to execute what the players have been working on in practice. It also obviously helps to build their postseason résumé.

“It’s great to get as many wins as you can, especially looking forward to NCAAs, when if you want to get in, you have to have higher then a 50-50 record,” Seaborne said. “So each win that we get is great. We are just trying to get as many as we can.”

Chicago State is fresh off a loss to Eastern Illinois. The Cougars’ record is a lowly 3-8 heading into Iowa.

“Our goal is to get better every day in practice and build each week, and we have been able to do that so far,” Dougherty said.