Local man accused of choking wife

A local man has been accused of choking his wife.

Ori Dotson, 35, was charged Sunday with domestic-abuse assault impending air/blood causing bodily injury and third-offense OWI.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, officers responded to a call reporting domestic abuse. Before the officers arrived, Dotson left the scene. Officers spoke with the accuser, who said she was in an argument with her husband. During this argument, Dotson took out the battery of her phone so she could not call the police, the complaint said.

The woman struggled to retrieve the battery, and Dotson allegedly pushed her back over the living-room couch. Dotson allegedly held his fist on her chest, leaving a red mark. Dotson then reportedly put his hands around her neck, making it difficult for her to breath, the complaint said.

Officers spoke to Dotson on the phone and asked if he could meet the officers to talk. Dotson agreed to meet at the Sycamore Mall, the complaint said.

Once the officers spoke to Dotson in the mall parking lot, they noticed red bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, swaying as he stood, and a strong scent of ingested alcohol. Dotson admitted to having a “couple shots” of whiskey prior to driving, the complaint said.

Domestic-abuse assault impending air/blood causing bodily injury is a Class-D felony. Third- offense OWI is a Class-D felony.

— by Alison Keim