Women swimmers face rough waters

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team lost two tough duals this past weekend at the Shamrock Invitational in South Bend, Ind. Notre Dame bested the Hawkeyes, 263-106, and Northwestern pulled out a heartbreaking 186-184 victory over the Black and Gold.

Junior Becky Stoughton had the only Hawkeye win when she touched first in the 200 free in 1:51.09. She did have one other top finish on the day; she was runner-up in the 1,650 free with a time of 16:42.09.

The divers gained the only other win of the weekend when redshirt junior Joelle Christy won the 3-meter springboard. She scored 312.75 points, and redshirt junior Abby Grilli finished second at 311.40.

Seniors Elise Boria, Emily Hovren, and Lindsay Seemann with sophomore Olivia Kabacinski finished second in the 400-free relay in a time of 3:26.82, starting a trend of good relay finishes.

In addition to the solid finish in the 400, two third-place finishes in the 800 free and the 200 medley helped the Hawkeyes stay in the dual against Northwestern.

The Black and Gold also received major contribution from freshman Emma Sougstad, who finished runner-up in the 100-breast by racing to a time of 1:03.57. Kabacinski also raced well in another 100 meter event — the freestyle — and finished third.

The Hawkeyes’ next competition will take place Friday in the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center against Western Illinois on Senior Day. The meet will begin at 6 p.m. and will be Iowa’s last home meet of the season.

— by Jordan Hansen