Gangster grass hits IC

Communicating mid-performance with nothing more than their eyes and ears has become a norm for the band Good Gravy.

Percussionist Kyle Vanbuskirk said nonverbal communication among the band members has become second nature — they’ve been together since 2008.

“I can see and feel what the other guys are feeling at the same time, which affects what I choose to add to that mix and creates that cool vibe and energy that is created right there on the spot,” he said.

Vanbuskirk said live performances are very important to the band, not only because they record each one but because of the novelty in each performance.

“I think that is the most fun thing for me,” Vanbuskirk said. “Always creating something that will never be created that way again.”

A big part of Good Gravy’s live performance is to keep things fresh and new, which is where the improvisation comes in. The band was formed because they all shared a love for live music, and drummer Nick Deyo said it showed on stage.

“We try to bring as much love and energy and good vibes as possible,” he said. “You see it in the reactions that we get, and they really do love it. We think that what we’re doing is important.”

Deyo said that the name Good Gravy, which the band sometimes refers to as “GG,” does not have a great history behind it — rather, it came from a simple encounter.

“Our name comes from a bunch of kids seeing this particular place for the first time, and they were so overwhelmed they yelled, ‘Good gravy,’ ” Deyo said.

Gangster grass is the music they strive to make with “world influences and American jam roots,” he said. However, when describing the group’s new album, Sliver of a Moon, due out in early 2014, guitarist and singer Jeremy Page said it will feature a unique sound.

“It’s an acoustic album with some electronic stuff, so it will feature opposite ends of the spectrum, but what we’re trying to do is create a new style of playing bluegrass,” Page said. “And also do some tribal and world sounds and bring a lot of different elements together.”

The band members are not worried about how their new album will be received by the public. Deyo said they have been friends for a while now and instead of focusing on what their fans want, the band does what they want and their fans will follow along.

“We are unique because we don’t give a f**k,” Deyo said. “I know that we’re making dope stuff, and sooner or later people will catch on.”

MUSIC

Good Gravy