UI police release current crime statistics

A recent report of liquor violations, sexual offenses, and drug-abuse violations on and off the University of Iowa campus have all made substantial leaps.

The UI police’s annual Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics and Fire Safety Report details trends concerning crimes and safety precautions on and off campus.

The report found that within the past year, sex offenses jumped from 11 to 20 and liquor violations from 497 to 503. Drug violations saw the most drastic leap in the number offenses. In 2010, the number of violations was 144 and in 2012, the number jumped to 234.

The report defines drug violations as the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing and making of narcotic drugs.  The relevant substances include opium or cocaine and their derivatives (morphine, heroin, codeine); marijuana, synthetic narcotics and dangerous non-narcotic drugs. 

According to the report, the Clery Act requires institutions to disclose the number of crimes that occurred on campus, including crimes that occur in on-campus student housing facilities.

The data help UI officials to be aware of the behaviors of the students and allows the UI police to focus on and enhance the safety and health of the student community.  All members of the UI community are encouraged to accurately and promptly report all crimes and emergencies to UI police. 

— by Abigail Meier