Coralville mayor pro tem seeking Mayor Position

Following the announcement by the city of Coralville’s long-term mayor Monday that he will not seek re-election, another city official has come forward with hopes of landing the seat.

Coralville resident and Mayor Pro-Tem John Lundell will throw his hat in the city government ring once again.

The 33-year-old Lundell made the announcement official in a Tuesday press release.

Lundell’s term on the council is set to end this year.

Coralville Mayor Jim Fausett, who has been involved in the city government for the past 50 years and has been in his current position since 1996, said he is very pleased that Lundell will run.

In fact, he said, he had hoped that Lundell would.

“John has been on the council for 10 years and has always proven to be a person who keeps the citizens of Coralville first in his mind,” Fausett said. “Both he and his wife are well respected in the community and to me he is the type of person who would do a great job.”

Lundell, a graduate of the University of Iowa, said if elected, he plans to focus on flood-mitigation projects and attracting more businesses to the city.

For nearly two decades, he has held the post of deputy director of the UI Injury Prevention Research Center in the College of Public Health, and he is an active member in several organizations in Johnson County such as the Johnson County Emergency Communications Center Policy Board.

Lundell’s wife, Diane, served on Coralville’s city council before retiring in 2001. She is currently an assistant vice president for marketing and communication for UI Health Care. They couple has two children.

“In the next year or two we will have finished all of our protection projects to protect Coralville from future floods,” Lundell said.

Lundell said he is proud of city staff for taking accurate measurement of the floodwater levels in 2008 so that the city was able to make very accurate plans to prevent a flood of the same magnitude.

City Administrator Kelly Hayworth echoed Fausett’s support of Lundell’s decision to run.

“John has been a very good resource as a councilor, and he’s shown that he’s very interested in the community,” he said.

Hayworth said whoever the new mayor of Coralville might be, the biggest issue for her or him to focus on is the city’s Community Plan Initiative that is currently in effect.

The plan will address many issues that Coralville faces, including land use and development, transportation and circulation, community facilities, environmental features, and parks and open space. It will also provide more detailed plans for several key areas in the community.

Hayworth said this plan could be in effect for the next 10 to 20 years, and the future mayor will need to lead the council and community involvement in the plan.

“I think it’s great that John is considering running for office,” Hayworth said.

“He’s a good candidate.”

Lundell was first elected to the Coralville City Council in 2003 for a two-year term after Dave Jacoby was elected to the Iowa House of Representatives.

Lundell has served in two additional four-year teams in 2005 and 2009, and has served as mayor pro tem since 2009.

“I am proud of the work we have accomplished to establish Coralville as one of the finest cities in the state,” he said. “Like Mayor Fausett, I have dedicated myself to serving the community and hope to continue doing so as mayor.”

Through Sept. 19, prospective City Council and mayor candidates can file to be apart of the city’s governing body. Lundell is the first to announce his intent to run for mayor.