Point/Counterpoint: Will Tiger ever win another Major?

Yes

Tiger Woods will never be the golfer he once was. The man who once struck fear into those who walked the course with him is gone.

However, it would be foolish to say that he will never win another major.

Tiger is 37 years old. He is easily one of the most athletically superior golfers to ever play the sport. What this gives Tiger is longevity. Barring a major injury, he will play into his 40s and maybe his 50s, remaining competitive throughout.

Assuming that he at least plays until he is 50, Tiger will have 49 chances to win a major. I would take those odds even with an average golfer.

Interestingly enough, for as much panic as there is surrounding Tiger’s failings, he’s actually having a pretty good year.

Tiger is still ranked the No. 1 golfer in the world and has won five tournaments in 2013. But he suffers from two things: inconsistent play and expectations.

Earlier this year, Tiger had put together three-consecutive tournament wins, a fourth-place finish at the Masters, and then a win at the Players Championship. Just as Tiger was looking like his old self, he then went out and finished 65th in the Memorial Tournament and 32nd in the U.S. Open.

Even if Tiger eventually becomes more consistent, he will still be cursed by expectations. Whenever he finishes lower than expected, the world goes into panic mode. Whenever he wins, everyone declares he is back and expects him to win each tournament by 30 strokes.

However, he will eventually win a major. And when he does, gone will be the questions, the doubters, and most importantly, the growing pressure that builds with the coming and going of each major that he doesn’t win.

Then, and only then, can golf return to normalcy.

— by Jacob Sheyko

No

Tiger’s disappointing finish last weekend at the British Open showed me one thing. Woods will not win another major tournament.

Tiger hasn’t won a major tournament since 2008, when he won the U.S. Open in a playoff. At that point, it seemed as if he was at the top of his game. He had won at least one major each year since 2005 and averaged more than six tour wins a season from ’05-’09. He was arguably the best golfer in the world.

But that was the peak of Tiger’s career. Once his cheating scandal broke in 2009, he was never the same. Tiger has only won seven events on the tour since then. And it doesn’t look like he is close to winning another major tournament, either.

Tiger’s weekend play has been a joke. Sure, Woods has dominated play on Thursday and Friday, but he is 24 strokes over par in the third and fourth rounds, and he hasn’t broken 70 in a final round during the last seven majors. You can’t win a major, or any tournament for that matter, if you can’t finish when it really counts.

Maybe he’s too old. Maybe he is starting  to feel the pressure to win again. Maybe it’s something else. Whatever the reason, Tiger is in the worst drought of his career, and it doesn’t look as though he will come out of it anytime soon. If this type of play continues, he will not win another major.

— by Ryan Young