Dem Party head to leave post

Tyler Olson, who has served as the Iowa Democratic Party chairman since January 25, has resigned from his position, according to a Tuesday letter written to the Democratic Party’s Central Committee.

Olson, who is from Cedar Rapids, said in the letter that he must decide how he “can best serve Iowans” and that he is unable to do so while holding the current position. While Olson has previously mentioned that he is considering running for governor, his Tuesday letter did not raise the possibility.

In April, he endorsed Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, for the Senate seat that Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, will vacate after 2014.

Olson will retain his House position and ranking membership on the Appropriations Committee.

He was re-elected to his fourth term in the Iowa House last fall. Olson was chosen to replace former Chairwoman Sue Dvorsky in January; she was elected to the post in June 2010.

He told the DI in January that he wanted to see the Democratic Party continue to update its data on voters and make the information accessible to local officials.

“2014 brings a real opportunity to build on Democrats’ gains in Des Moines and Washington, D.C., not just to say we won an election but to expand educational and job opportunities for all Iowans,” Olson said in a previous statement.