Blank, Dowling, Massey Earn All Big-Ten Honors

The Iowa softball team had three players named to All-Big Ten teams on Wednesday: sophomore shortstop Megan Blank, senior center fielder Johnnie Dowling, and junior pitcher Kayla Massey.

Blank led the way all year in route to her second-straight first-team All Big-Ten nomination. Her 58 RBIs are good for second in the Big Ten, and she is batting .436 this season — the school record is .429, set by Kim Davis in 1993.

“Megan definitely deserves this honor,” said Iowa head coach Marla Looper in a release. “She was very consistent, offensively and defensively. Our team relies on her heavily, and it is nice that others recognize what an important part of our program she is.”

Dowling has paced the top of the Hawkeye lineup throughout the season and was recognized Wednesday as a second-team All-Big Ten selection. Dowling is hitting .350 this season and leads Iowa in runs (46), triples (4), and stolen bases (19.)

Massey was named to the Big Ten all defensive team as a pitcher. She has posted a career-best 17 wins and has registered a 1.000 fielding percentage. The junior has recorded 25 complete games in 30 starts, including 4 shutouts.

“It is nice to have great fielding pitchers that can field their position, “ Looper said in the release. “That allows you to do some other things with the rest of your defense knowing they are solid in the circle. Kayla has done a nice job fielding her position.”