Man charged after stealing several vehicles

An Iowa man has been accused of ramming a stolen pickup truck with a stolen semi-trailer truck.

Travis Peterson, 21, was charged Jan. 22 with first-degree criminal mischief and was charged Oct. 3, 2012, with first-degree theft.

According to a Johnson County Sheriff’s Office complaint, Peterson told sheriff officials that he and two codefendants stole a 2009 GMC pickup truck and drove it to the Farmer’s Hen House in Kalona.

Peterson then stole a semi from the Farmer’s Hen House and began ramming the pickup truck with the semi, the complaint said.

Damage to the pickup truck totaled $23,900; and the damage to the semi-trailer totaled $11,275.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, Peterson was involved with another incident in which Washington County sheriff’s deputies recovered three vehicles from a railroad bed in Washington County.

One of the vehicles, a 2005 white F-350, was reported stolen that day and was valued at more than $10,000.

Peterson reportedly admitted to officials that a codefendant told him the truck was stolen, but he continued to drive the vehicle, the complaint said.

The two other vehicles recovered at the same time were also found to allegedly have been stolen by Peterson and his codefendants.

First-degree criminal mischief is a felony. First-degree theft is a Class-C felony.