Track’s Wieczorek confident in runners

The Iowa men’s track and field team will travel to Macomb, Ill. this weekend for the Lee Calhoun Invitational.

Head coach Larry Wieczorek is extremely confident about the state of his track and field program after the team placed second in the Jim Click Invite in Tucson Ariz. on April 6. Along with the 400-meter relay team breaking a school record, senior Kyle Reid broke the men’s decathlon record with 7,025 points. Seniors Ethan Holmes and Jordan Mullen  earned duplicate times of 13.77, marks that rank first currently in the Big Ten.

“Right now, it’s coming from the athletes,” Wieczorek said about the team’s success so far this season. “They believe that the are a good team, and that we can be an even better team. That’s the good thing about it — the athletes believe right now, so it makes it pretty easy for the coaches to keep encouraging that belief.”

Wieczorek is looking for a big performance from senior Justin Austin. The Director of Track and Field said that Austin, 2011 Big Ten Athlete of the Year for the outdoor season, is back in his prime. Austin’s performances in the 100 and 200-meter races certainly show that — Austin recorded times of 10.37 and 20.55 respectively, both of with hold top marks in the conference.

Austin will also race against former Iowa trackster Erik Sowinski in the 400-meter dash.

“That’s kind of a big match race,” Wieckzorek said. “[Austin] may not be sleeping this week.”