Hawkeye men’s tennis comes up short

The Iowa’s men’s tennis team lost a pair of Big Ten meets against ranked opponents this past weekend. The Hawkeyes were in Bloomington on April 6 to compete in the weekend’s first match, against Indiana.

The Hoosiers handled the Black and Gold. Indiana jumped out to an early lead by winning two out of three doubles matches and went on to beat the Hawkeyes, 7-0. Andres Estenssoro was the only Hawkeye player to take his match into a third set, but he ended up falling short in a 10-point tiebreaker (7-5-7, 4-6, 1-0).

The team then traveled to West Lafayette the following day to take on the Purdue Boilermakers at the Schwartz Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes’ improved performance however, didn’t produce the results they were looking for — the Boilermakers downed Iowa 6-1. Purdue took the meet’s opening doubles point, even though Hawkeyes Michael Swank and Joey White managed to win their doubles match (8-3).

Purdue won five of six singles matches over the Black and Gold. Hawkeye sophomore Matt Hagan overcame a nagging knee injury to win a three-set tiebreaker (3-6, 7-5, 1-0 [10-8]). Jonas Dierckx gave Purdue’s Mark Kovacs all he could handle in their dual at the No. 1 singles position but came up short in two tiebreakers (7-6, 7-6).