Bianchini: Dumb isn’t cute

“BRB,” “JK,” “LOL”: three abbreviations that are highly used in many text messages, Facebook posts, and even verbally in daily conversations. Also known as the reason that grammar is dying.

In research papers, capital letters and punctuation are required. In text messages, grammar is looked down upon and never taken seriously. What seems like an irrelevant alteration to the way we speak may actually pose a larger problem about the desire for education.

In fact, in Iowa alone, 67 percent of fourth-graders are unable to read at grade level. Likewise, 67 percent of eighth-graders are unable to read at their grade level and approximately 7,804 teens aged 16 to 19 have dropped out of high school, according to the Children’s Defense Fund.

Basically, there needs to be more of an emphasis on education and less on catchy abbreviations.

To sound corny and quote my mother, knowledge is power. After having this phrase beaten into my brain after countless fights over doing homework, I can’t study for a test without hearing her repeat this in the back of my head. It’s kind of creepy, actually.

But if you want a good job, then get a good education. First impressions and interviews are a big part of life, and if you sound like a dunce, your chances will dwindle.

Sure, just because you may not have the best grammar or education, it doesn’t mean you’re going to be forever out of a job and unable to pay the bills, but it’s always a good asset to have in your back pocket when piecing together your résumé.  

And it may be quicker to send an abbreviation, but honestly, “u” instead of “you” and “luv” instead of “love” is just plain ridiculous. Dumb isn’t cute. What is cute is the little button on Microsoft Word with a checkmark. It’s called spell check: Use it.